Sunday, August 20, 2006

Malinak Lay Labi (The Night is Late)

I was browsing through the wikipedia and I stumbled upon a lullaby/love song that my yaya (nanny) used to sing to me when I was a little boy. It brings so many happy memories. Click on the link or title to hear how the song goes.


Malinak lay Labi: A Pangasinan Love Song

Malinak lay Labi
The night is late
Oras la'y mareen
The hour is peaceful

Mapalpalna'y dagem
A gentle breeze
Katekep to'y linaew
Along with it is the dew

Samit da'y kugip ko
So sweet is my dream
Binangonan kon tampol
Right away I awake

Lapu'd say limgas mo
Because of your beauty
Sikan sika'y amamayoen
You are the only one I will love

Lalo la bilay
Best of all, my life
No sika la'y nanengneng
When I see you

Napunas lan amin
All wiped away
So ermen ya akbibiten
The sorrows that I bear

No nanonotan
When I remember
Ko la'y samit day ugalim
Your sweet kindness

Ag ta ka nalingwanan
I will not forget you
Angga'd kauyos na bilay
Till life is gone


this is an audio post - click to play



Note: The song is not in Tagalog but of a local dialect, Pangasinan.