Monday, January 17, 2005

Missed Opportunity?

Today, during lunch, I went to the gas station to buy bottled water and a newspaper. At first, it was like any other day. I'd go inside, grab a Dasani in the cooler, check out which paper catches my eye, and pay for my purchases. It wasn't. Instead something weird happened. Oh, it's not like I suddenly heard angels or a prophecy unfolded right before my eyes, something else. I didn't see Elvis buying coffee either.

As I was about to get my water, another guy jumped infront of me and opened the cooler right before the one where the bottled waters were. I thought, How rude! I was going to say something when the guy turned to face me, then that sudden feeling of familiarization hit me. I know this fucker. A very clear and concrete image of him laughing and a conversation we had came to mind. I don't think it was deja vu. I knew that it happened. This is justified because the guy did a double take, he actually eyed me up and down. It looked like he was about to say something when instead I opened the cooler and took out my bottled water of choice. I didn't know what to say. Ofcourse, I clammed up and became so aloof, he must have thought I had something up my ass.

What the hell was wrong with me? It's not like he would think that I am hitting on him when I ask if I knew him from somewhere. Besides, I have a good memory when it comes to faces and names. I mean he did act like he recognize me as well. No harm done, right? The feeling got stronger. I do know him, but where? So when were on line, I had another opportunity to say something. And so did he...

We paid for our stuff at the same time. He gave me one last look, a restrained one. I also gave him one last look, bit my tongue and left the store.

I wonder what he was going to say. Still, the image of him laughing and talking lingers in my head. Maybe it was just my imagination after all. But I can't shake it out of my head.